Since the confinement for COVID-19 began in Spain, on March 14th 2020, every weekend I wrote an article about the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus crisis, seasoned with football anecdotes to make it more appetizing for football fans. These articles satisfied a need, both for the writer and the reader, to know what was happening and what was going to happen. Most of the content on COVID-19 is based on scientific articles that I have read and filtered, drawing on my 25 years of experience as a biomedical researcher.
In the seventh week, I tried to come off the field but the magic sponge ensured my return. The twelfth week came and I threw myself to the ground exaggerating the pain to exit a match which has exhausted each and every one of us. What follows is a historical, scientific, and footballing account of three months of confinement no one could have ever predicted.
These 12 Coronavirus articles (here further divided into 30) have been a floating board during the COVID-19 tsunami. They motivated me to read scientific publications on a new and exciting topic, they forced me to practise the pleasure of writing, they made me smile when I found analogies and anecdotes in the world of football, and they have kept me in touch with very dear friends, who read them and commented.
- 1. VIRUS: Charisteas’ Greece
- 2. CORONAVIRUSES: Maracanazo
- 3. ¿DIFFERENTS SARS-CoV-2?: The new Barça
- 4. HERD IMMUNITY: Respect to Totti
- 5. FALSE NEGATIVES: Monchi’s Method
- 6. LOOKING FOR SOLUTIONS: Home-grown players
- 7. TEST, TEST, TEST: Discovering Zlatan
- 8. SEROLOGICAL TESTING: Antigen Materazzi
- 9. RAPID TEST: Neymar vs Dembélé
- 10. LOOKING FOR MASKS: Marco boots
- 11. THE W.H.O MASK: Inverting the pyramid
- 12. TYPES OF MASKS: FPP3 Oblak
- 13. WEARING MASKS: Italian Biscotto
- 14. SARS-CoV-2 NUMBERS: Ronaldinho’s happiness
- 15. THE R NUMBER: Filling Maracaná
- 16. SPIKE PROTEIN: Crouch y Žigić
- 17. NAIVES: Learning from Heysel
- 18. SUPERSPREADERS: Oleg Salenko
- 19. REPRODUCIBLE SCIENCE: Messi the kid
- 20. KIDS: The Gudjohnsen kiss
- 21. FLÜGGE MICRODROPS: Beckham’s crosses
- 22. AEROSOLS: Mágico and Emilio
- 23. WOULD FOOTBALL HELP?
- 24. RT-PCR vs ANTIBODY TESTS: Penalty kicks
- 25. WOMEN: June and Nita
- 26. WITHOUT VACCINE: Garrincha the bird
- 27. TOWARDS THE VACCINE: Ajax school
- 28. WHAT WE KNOW: Cristiano’s number k
- 29. WHAT WE DO NOT KNOW: Ramos and Piqué
- 30. NEW NORMALITY: Playing in the fog